What utilities are included?

UNLV campus housing includes plug-in and wireless Internet, premium cable TV, electricity, water and emergency phone service, all included in your rate. Local/800 telephone service is also available on request, for a monthly charge.

What is the cost to apply?

Students not currently living on campus (new students and current UNLV students living elsewhere) pay a $125 fee when applying. All 2019-20 residents will also be charged a $325 reservation fee that is due by July 1, 2019; this reservation fee will be fully credited toward your 2019-20 housing and dining costs.

Can I cancel my reservation or contract?

New residents (new students and currently UNLV students not yet living on campus) can cancel in writing delivered to the Housing & Residential Life Office by July 1, 2019. After that date, a $500 cancellation fee will apply until move-in day (the $325 reservation fee will be credited toward the cancellation fee). After move-in, the contract can be terminated for a buyout fee as described in the contract. Returning residents can cancel in writing delivered to the Housing & Residential Life Office by July 1, 2019; a $500 cancellation fee will apply (with the $325 reservation fee credited toward the cancellation fee). After July 1, 2019, returning residents can terminate the contract for a buyout fee as described in the contract. The cancellation fees apply regardless of the reason for cancellation.

Can I move furniture or build a loft?

Residents may move the furniture around inside their assigned room as long as it is safe and in compliance with our policies. Furniture must remain in the assigned room at all times. If you rearrange the furniture in your room, it should be returned to its original position prior to move-out. Residents cannot install or affix anything in the room that will be permanent or will damage the walls, doors, ceilings, or floors. Students may bunk (stack) their beds in all residence halls; please speak with your RA or front desk about bunking beds.

Do I need insurance for my belongings?

The Office of Housing & Residential Life does not assume responsibility for any resident’s or other person’s loss of money or valuables, for loss of or damage to property, or for injuries sustained on the premises. UNLV recommends that all residents obtain renter’s insurance. In the event of water damage, fire, theft, or any other cause of damage or loss, UNLV insurance will not cover any of your personal possessions.

It is strongly recommended that you purchase renter’s insurance through your own insurance provider to cover the loss of or damage to your personal property while on campus. Be sure to consider the value of your possessions, including computers and electronic equipment, when selecting the policy that’s best for you.

Is there extra storage space?

UNLV is not able to provide additional storage space outside your assigned room.

Where will I do laundry?

Each community includes laundry facilities, operated with your RebelCard. Hours are posted in each facility. At Dayton and UCC, the laundry rooms are on the first floor of each building. At South Complex, laundry is in the adjacent South Services Building. At Tonopah, laundry rooms are located on each floor.

What does the housing contract provide?

When you sign up for housing, you agree to the terms and conditions of a legally binding contract between you and UNLV. Please review the terms carefully and in full before signing. Here are a few select reminders about your contract:

    • Unless otherwise expressly provided in the contract, it is for the entire academic year (Fall and Spring semesters). If you sign your contract after the start of the academic year, it remains in effect until the end of the spring semester.
    • You must follow the rules established for special living environments (e.g., study-intensive/quiet floors). If you cannot follow the rules, you may be moved to another room if available.
    • Inappropriate behavior may result in reassignment and/or disciplinary action. Examples include disruptive behavior, attempting to force a roommate to move, discriminating against others in the facility, or allowing anyone not assigned to the room to live in it.

Make sure you and your family understand the contract, and contact the Housing & Residential Life office with concerns or questions.

Can I be released from the housing contract?

Check your contract for information about the conditions under which you can end the contract before its natural expiration date. Remember that Housing & Residential Life must approve any contract adjustments in writing. If you move out without obtaining the proper release form and remain enrolled at UNLV, you will be liable for the full housing fees until the end of your contract.

What if I don’t have a roommate?

You may occupy only your assigned space in the room at all times. Please keep in mind that unless you occupy a single room and pay the single rate, you may be assigned a roommate at any time, so your room must always be ready for a new roommate. Housing & Residential Life tries to provide 24 hours notice before a roommate moves in but is not always able to do so. Failure to have your room “roommate-ready” may result in billing for staff to clean or move your belongings.

How do I make sure I’m not held liable for existing damage?

You will sign your Room Condition Report (RCR) at check-in. This is your opportunity to note anything in your room that is in less than perfect condition. You can accept the condition of your room, or you will have 24 hours to report any discrepancies with your RCR. Please take the time to thoroughly review the RCR before you turn it in, as changes beyond normal wear and tear will become your financial responsibility.

What kind of items are prohibited in the residence halls?

In the interest of safety, the following are prohibited anywhere within the UNLV residence hall buildings:

  • Smoking in any indoor areas, balconies, patios or stairwells
  • Firearms or weapons of any type, including facsimiles that fire projectiles
  • Microwave ovens from non-university-approved vendors
  • Empty alcohol containers, including those used for display or decoration, if any resident of the room is under 21
  • Drug paraphernalia (e.g., bongs, pipes)
  • Candles, incense or potpourri pots with open flames
  • Flammable fluids
  • Grills (including Foreman grills), stoves, hot plates or toaster ovens
  • Fireworks or explosives
  • Heating elements or space heaters
  • Sun lamps
  • Electric blankets
  • Halogen lamps
  • Hoverboards and self-balancing boards
  • Bicycles indoors
  • Non-university-approved lofts
  • Placement of beds on other furniture
  • Cinder blocks
  • Waterbeds
  • Pets (except fish in small tanks as approved by management)

Can I have a refrigerator or microwave?

Each resident is allowed to keep one refrigerator of approximately 3 cubic feet or less in the assigned room. If rented, the refrigerator must be emptied, cleaned, disconnected and returned at the end of the year. Microwave ovens are prohibited in student rooms. UNLV contracts with College Products to provide rental Microchills (a microwave/refrigerator combo) for students, with free pickup and delivery. Please contact College Products directly for rates and service requests.

What is the smoking policy in UNLV housing?

All spaces in and immediately adjacent to the residence hall buildings, including resident rooms, balconies and patios, stairwells and entryways, are designated non-smoking areas (including e-cigarettes). Designated outdoor areas will be provided for students and visitors who use tobacco products.

What is UNLV’s policy on medical marijuana?

Nevada state law permits the use, possession and cultivation of medical marijuana. However, federal law prohibits use, possession and/or cultivation of marijuana in educational institutions and other recipients of federal funds. Therefore, the use, possession and/or cultivation of medical marijuana is prohibited on the UNLV campus, including in University housing facilities, even if a student, faculty or staff member possess a Medical Marijuana Registry identification card under Nevada state law.

What is the policy on guests in UNLV housing?

Residents may invite guests into their residence hall, understanding that the host resident must escort the guest wherever they are in the building. Guests are allowed within the resident’s room only with the roommate’s continuing consent. If all roommates consent, guests may stay in a residence hall overnight for up to three nights per month (adding together nights in any rooms on campus). Residents of one residence hall are considered guests in all other residence halls and therefore must follow guest procedures when visiting. Guests must adhere to all university rules and residence hall policies. The host resident is responsible for the guest’s actions (both financially and for disciplinary action) and it is the responsibility of the host to inform the guest of these rules. In certain cases, a guest may be removed from the residence hall and prohibited from returning.

What is the Meningitis vaccination requirement?

Nevada regulations require first-year students under 23 years of age to be immunized against Neisseria meningitidis in order to reside in an on-campus housing facility. Students must provide proof of vaccination directly to the Office of Admissions by the third week of classes. If this requirement is not met, residence hall and Dining Commons access may be suspended, a warning letter and telephone call will be directed to the student’s emergency contact, and the resident will be subject to eviction.